In September of 1947, Sergeant Ron Wall of the Subiaco Police & Citizens Club, contacted Kevin Riley, a member of the City of Perth club, for help in training his group in lifesaving techniques. It was those young men who then formed the first full time patrol at North City Beach.
The late Ron Tamen of the East Perth P&C was in charge and Kevin Riley was their coach. Membership grew very rapidly during the early period and several who joined in 1947/48 are still closely associated with the club. By the end of the first season, North City had 64 members and recorded no lives lost and 22 first aid cases. The colours chosen for the club were royal blue and gold.
At the commencement of the 1948/49 season, Kevin Riley returned to the City of Perth club, and elected their club captain. However he and several other City members continued to assist in the training of the new North City club members. Although there was no elected governing committee operating during this period, Ron Tamen was the administrator and R.Pola became club captain. The first general meeting that called for the forming of an official and fully functional committee was in 1957.
The 1947-1957 period was one of steady growth , and even when membership dropped a little after 1955, interest was always high. Several State Championship events were won, principally in the March Past, Beach Relay and Rescue & Resuscitation events. The boat crews, who were using a rather heavy double ender boat on loan from the City of Perth club, came very close on several occasions to gaining a State pennant. The bond between City and North City was very close. By 1957, membership was once again on the increase and new directions were being sought.