Parental involvement is essential to the success of the Junior Program. Parents can get involved in a number of ways:
- Age Manager - Each age group requires Age Managers to assist in running the morning activities. Age Managers complete both an online qualification and beach training run by the Club.
- Water Safety - All water activities require qualified water safety personnel (SLSA requires a 1:5 ratio of water safety personnel to participants). Water safety personnel complete a Surf Rescue Certificate (SRC). The Club conducts a SRC course for parents who wish to assist in Water Safety.
- Beach set-up – Parents are required to assist in setting up and packing away equipment, including boards, shade tents, etc.
- Canteen duty – A BBQ is held at the clubhouse after each nippers session. This is a great opportunity for families to get to know each other.
- Social committee – All social events are run by parents. Popular events include the club’s Christmas party and end-of-season trophy presentation day.
- Junior committee – This group determines how best to run the nippers events.
- Coaching – Expertise in surf sports and beach running is highly sought after.
The junior program cannot be conducted without parental involvement. A condition of annual registration with Floreat SLSC is that parents must commit to assisting in at least one of the above areas, no matter how small the contribution.
It is also important to note that Floreat SLSC requires that a parent remains on the beach at all times during Nippers activities. This is a condition of membership.